As children, it can safely be said that almost all of us experienced bouts of cough and cold from time to time, and while this proved to be pretty agonizing for us, it is the parents who find them in the stickiest spot regarding how they can minimize the pain that their babies are going through, and what are some of the potential cough treatment available.
Now, it must be pointed out that while children have underdeveloped immune systems that constantly develop as they grow and mature, the environments that they are subjected to can prove to be potentially harmful to them in more ways than one. If you are concerned regarding your child’s health, consulting the best team of pediatricians at a top hospital in Lucknow would certainly be the one to go for.
In this blog, we will be taking a look at the various cough causes there are, what is the potential method of diagnosis involved, and lastly, how can such cough be effectively tackled and cured. So, let’s get started.
Here are some of the primary cough causes in children.
Now, as we have already mentioned, children don’t possess totally evolved immune systems, and what this means is that they aren’t really in a strong position to defend themselves against the various microbes and allergens that they may be faced with. Some of the common ones are as follows.
- Infections- These are some of the most common causes of cold and cough in children, and it is rhinovirus that can be blamed for a lot of these infections and flu. Symptoms may include a sore throat, fever, runny or stuffy nose, and the barking coughs from such infections are mostly prevalent during the night.
- Acid reflux- This is a medical condition that’s not only prevalent in children, but in adults as well, and such refluxes are mainly caused by abrupt eating patterns and the consumption of spicy or oily food. Such causes are less common than colds, but they can turn out to be quite irritating as well.
- Allergies: When it comes to cough causes in children, this is one of the most common causes there are, and there are a number of different types of allergens that can cause such a reaction. While allergy cough treatment can be carried out relatively quickly, one must be able to determine the source of allergies. Some of the most common allergens out there are fur, pollen, dust, etc.
Diagnosis of cough in children.
Before the medical team can get on with something like allergy cough treatment for children, they must be able to identify the exact cause of the problem, and that’s where diagnosis comes in. Some of the steps and procedures that are availed of by paediatrics to diagnose cough in children are as follows.
- The medical history of the patient: A thorough examination of the medical history of the child is carried out before getting started with the cure processes. Moreover, everything from the frequency of the cough to recent exposures to allergens or health threats would be checked for. Such a rundown is extremely important for cough treatment.
- Physical examination: A physical examination of the children is thoroughly carried out, and this primarily includes examining the condition of the congestion, the level of fever, etc. Such tests are commonly carried out along with the first step itself.
- Medical tests: In certain cases, the doctor may prescribe certain medical tests like blood tests, allergy tests, etc. to determine the cough causes, thereby helping them carry out effective cough treatment.
Once properly diagnosed, cough can be treated in a number of ways, and the following are some of the most common ones there are.
- If the cough is being caused by a viral infection, the usage of OTC medications and constant care can help tackle the issue at hand. This is one of the most common causes of cough in children, and the recovery shouldn’t be particularly difficult.
- In the case of bacterial coughs, the usage of prescribed antibiotics should do the trick.
- The treatment of allergic coughs is a bit more complicated, and the procedure usually involves the consumption of antihistamines and decongestants. Further allergen tests may be carried out to determine the exact cause of the problem as well.
- If the case that’s being encountered is chronic in nature, the doctor can prescribe lifestyle changes, and it can be expected that these would certainly make a difference.
Now, these are the common medical procedures that are followed to treat coughs in children, but in certain cases, associated medical conditions like sore throat, pneumonia, and ear infection can be witnessed as well, and they must be tackled properly as well.
Coughs in children are a frequent occurrence, but fortunately, they can be quickly and easily cured as well. Looking for the best cough cure for your child? Visit a super speciality hospital today.