GERD is a condition characterized by backing up of stomach acid into the esophagus. Because of this, you may experience heartburn, chest pains, and other symptoms. GERD often gets worse after eating or lying down.
Treatment is important because GERD can lead to serious problems such as ulcers and cancer of the esophagus. There are many treatments available, including lifestyle changes, medications, and surgery. Diagnosis is often made based on symptoms and confirmed with a test called an endoscopy or colonoscopy. We discuss more about colonoscopy in detail on this page: https://www.andrea-digestive-clinic.com/.
Types of GERD Specialists
There are several types of specialists who can treat GERD, depending on the severity of your condition. Primary care physicians, such as internists and family medicine doctors, can often diagnose and treat GERD. If you have a more severe GERD, you may need to see a GERD specialist in Singapore.
GERD specialists that can help you include a gastroenterologist, otolaryngologist, or nutritionist/dietitian. A gastroenterologist is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating problems with the digestive system, including GERD. They may order tests such as an upper endoscopy to diagnose GERD. The gastroenterologist can also prescribe medications and treatments for GERD.
An otolaryngologist is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating problems with the ears, nose, and throat, including GERD. Depending on your symptoms, your GP may refer you to this GERD specialist in Singapore for further evaluation and treatment. The otolaryngologist can prescribe medications and other treatments for GERD.
A nutritionist or dietitian can help you identify foods that trigger your GERD symptoms and create a dietary plan to minimize those symptoms. They can also provide guidance on portion control and how to make healthy food choices.
When to See a GERD Specialist
You should see your GERD specialist in Singapore if you have symptoms that are not relieved by lifestyle changes and medications prescribed by your primary care physician. You may also need to see a specialist if you have:
- Severe heartburn more than twice a week
- Barrett’s esophagus
- Esophageal stricture
- Esophageal ulcer
- GERD that is not controlled by medications
Benefits of Seeing a GERD Specialist
There are many benefits to seeing a GERD specialist. A specialist can provide you with an accurate diagnosis and create a treatment plan tailored to your individual needs. Here are seven more reasons why your GP may insist that you see a GERD specialist in Singapore:
- Relief from symptoms: A GERD specialist can provide you with the relief you need from your symptoms. Depending on the severity of your symptoms, the specialist may prescribe medications or recommend other treatments. Most importantly, the specialist can help you get your life back by providing relief from your symptoms.
- Accurate diagnosis: A GERD specialist can accurately diagnose your condition and rule out other potential causes of your symptoms, such as esophageal cancer. This is especially important if you have symptoms that are not relieved by lifestyle changes or medications. If you have Barrett’s esophagus, for example, it is important to be monitored by a specialist.
- Guidance on lifestyle changes: A GERD specialist can provide you with guidance on making lifestyle changes that will help relieve your symptoms. This may include changes to your diet and exercise habits, as well as techniques for avoiding certain foods that trigger your GERD.
- Guidance on medications: It isn’t always easy to find the right medication to treat GERD. A specialist can help you find the medications that work best for you and provide guidance on how to take them. They can also monitor your response to medications and make changes as needed.
- Treatment for Barrett’s esophagus: It is important to be monitored by a GERD specialist if you have Barrett’s esophagus. The specialist can provide you with the treatment you need to prevent esophageal cancer.
- Treatment for esophageal stricture: Many people with GERD develop esophageal stricture, a condition in which the esophagus narrows. A GERD specialist can provide you with the treatment you need to keep your esophagus open and prevent symptoms. They can also prescribe medications to help relieve your symptoms.
- Relief from reflux: A GERD specialist can provide you with the relief you need from acid reflux and other GERD symptoms. They can prescribe medications, recommend lifestyle changes, and provide guidance on how to avoid trigger foods. If you have Barrett’s esophagus, the specialist can also monitor you for signs of esophageal cancer.
If you are experiencing symptoms that are not relieved by lifestyle changes or medications prescribed by your GP, it is important to see your GERD specialist in Singapore. The specialist can provide you with an accurate diagnosis and create a treatment plan tailored to your individual needs. The diagnostic tests that your GERD specialist may administer include:
- Esophogram: This is an X-ray of the esophagus that can help identify abnormalities, such as GERD, hiatal hernia, and Barrett’s esophagus. It may be recommended if you have symptoms of GERD that are not relieved by lifestyle changes or medications.
- Upper endoscopy: This is a test in which a small, flexible tube is inserted through the mouth and into the esophagus. The doctor can then look for signs of damage, such as ulcers and take biopsies if necessary.
- pH monitoring: This is a test in which a small tube is inserted through the nose and into the esophagus. The tube measures the amount of acid in the esophagus and can help diagnose GERD.
- Esophageal manometry: For this test, your GERD specialist will insert a small tube through the nose and into the esophagus. The tube measures the pressure in the esophagus and can help diagnose GERD.
- Laryngoscopy: For this test, a small tube is inserted through the mouth and into the throat. The doctor can then look for signs of damage, such as hoarseness and swelling.
There are different types of GERD specialists and when to see them, depending on your needs. It is important to see a specialist if you are experiencing symptoms that are not relieved by lifestyle changes or medications. That appointment could be the relief and peace of mind you need to get your life back on track.
We provide comprehensive GERD care. Our team of experts includes a gastroenterologist, dietitian, and psychologist. We offer a range of services, including lifestyle modification, medication management, and surgery. We also offer endoscopy services.
To make an appointment, please call us at +65 6264-2836.
Andrea’s Digestive Clinic: Colon, Liver, Gallbladder, GERD/Acid Reflux Specialist
#21-11/12 Royal Square At Novena, 101 Irrawaddy Road Singapore 329565
+65 6264 2836