Fruits are enriched with nutrients and minerals that keep you healthy and happy. You may know nutrients and minerals are fuels of your body. Fruits and vegetables are storehouses of fuels (nutrients and minerals) that constantly supply fuels to your body for working actively and effectively.
What is vitamin b12?
Vitamin b12 is a member of the B-Group vitamin family, performs multi-task alone or with other vitamins in your body. Vitamin b12 is the sole vitamin that contains cobalt mineral and is also known as Cobalamin. Vitamin b12 helps in synthesizing red blood cells, neuron cells, DNA, amino acids, is involved in the breakdown of carbohydrates, fats, and amino acids, and in the Methylation process.
Vitamin b12 is a bacterial product that accumulates in animal organs, and therefore, animals are an excellent source of vitamin b12. It binds with intrinsic protein in the human body to make feasible its absorption. If intrinsic proteins are not present in your body, you may experience vitamin b12 deficiency, known as Crohn’s disease.Its deficiency is common in old age people, vegetarians, and pregnant women.
Without further ado, let’s find out different sources of vitamin b12.
Which Fruits are a good source of vitamin b12?
Unlike other vitamins, fruits and vegetables are not good sources of vitamin b12. The reason is that vitamin b12 is synthesized by bacteria that are more present in animals than plants. The recommended dosage of vitamin b12 is 2.4 mcg/day for adults. However, not all but a few fruits provide enough content of vitamin b12, including;
- Apple: You may hear this; eating one apple per day keeps you away from the doctor. Apple contains valuable antioxidants, anti-cancer agents, flavonoids, and fibers. It contains a handsome amount of vitamin b12.
- Banana: Bananas are beneficial for your health, concentrated with nutrients and fibers, which help to lower stress, blood pressure, risk of ulcers, and control the internal heat level. Bananas also offer a decent amount of vitamin b12.
- Blueberry: Blueberries are leafy food and provide vitamin b12 along with potential beneficial chemicals.
- Mango: Mango, also famous as the king of fruits, provides magnesium, sodium, fibers, B-complex vitamins, vitamin b12, etc.
- Orange: You all know oranges are a powerful source of vitamin C and also contain carotenoids, antioxidants, vitamin b12, etc.
- Dry fruits: Almonds are a potential source of nutrients and oils that help protect your heart, including; phytosterols, Vitamin E, B12, magnesium unsaturated fatty acids, etc.
Which Animals are good sources of vitamin b12?
No doubt’s animals and their products (including dairy products) are good sources of vitamin b12. Vitamin b12 is bound with animal proteins. Animals, their products, and fortified foods that provide vitamin b12 are;
- Beef liver: It is the best source of proteins and vitamin b12. Its 3-ounces offers 70.7 mcg of vitamin b12, and its daily value (DV) is 2,944%.
- Calms: these are an excellent source of vitamin b12. It provides 84.1 mcg of vitamin b12 per 3-ounces of calms, and DV is nearly 3502%.
- Tuna: It serves 18.5 mcg per 6oz Fillet of vitamin b12 and 771% DV.
- King Crab: One leg of king crab provides 15.4 mcg, and DV is 642%.
- Fortified soymilk: It serves 6 mcg per 16oz glass, and DV is 249%.
- Fortified cereals: They provide 6.1 mcg per ¾ cup and 254% DV.
- Fortified Tofu: It serves 3.3 mcg per cup, and DV is 137%.
- Milk: It offers 2.6 mcg/16oz glass and 108% DV.
- Swiss Cheese: It serves 0.9 mcg/oz, and DV is 36%.
- Eggs: One large egg provides 0.6 mcg and 23% DV.
You can obtain a decent amount of vitamin b12 from the above-listed foods, and its synthetic form is also available in the form of liquid. Its deficiency induces many serious health issues; please take it seriously.
Vitamin b12 is a water-soluble, essential micronutrient that helps in keeping your body healthy. Fruits provide less level of vitamin b12, including; apple, banana, blueberry, mango, and oranges. Animals contain an adequate level of vitamin b12. The USA government advised the manufacturers to add vitamin b12 in fortified food and supplements despite these. You should care about the vitamin levels in your blood to live a healthy and wealthy life.